History of the site is currently being researched, however, a brief narrative of progress so far is set out below.
The site now occupied by the home is owned by the third and fourth generations of the Cooper family.
H. S. Cooper first built an indoor roller skating rink on the site in 1910. In the early part of the 'moving pictures' era the rink was converted into;
Earl Shilton's Electric Picture Palace,
later renamed the Palace Cinema. Also about that time another Cooper cinema was opened in Barwell, although only about three miles away it was felt that due to the popularity of this new medium a separate cinema would be justified.
Plans for the modification of the Earl Shilton skating rink in 1917, during the time of the 'Great War', were recently found and can be viewed by using the 'More History Pictures' Site Link above. [appreciation to Mr & Mrs S Bee]
In December 1930 the 'talkies' arrived. Both the Palace cinemas in Earl Shilton and Barwell converted to showing talking pictures in the week commencing 15th December.
The cinema continued to flourish from its conception in the early 1920's well into the late 1960's until the impact of television contributed to its decline.
Left an interior view of 'Arrys' or 'The Ranch', dependant on who was listening.
During the 1960's Cooper Cinemas Ltd, the company now running the cinema, built an outdoor roller skating rink, on part of the site, to complete the circle from skating to cinema and back to skating.
During its early days this new out-door rink was very popular and well patronised.
However, the days of long queues snaking from the cinema doors, along the considerable entrance drive and overflowing into Station Road during the late 40's and 50's were not to be repeated.
Finally during the 1980's it was considered that the site would better serve the community by being turned over to house the present accommodation for the elderly.